Thursday, April 3, 2008

water myth washed up

Whenever I go home to visit my dad I give him a hard time about his beverage choices, which he typically limits to diet iced tea, alcohol, and black coffee. When I'd nag him to drink more water, he'd rebut that (in addition to his distaste for the stuff) there was no scientific evidence proving water improved health. Well Dad, I hate to admit it, but you were right!

In a new report, researchers from the University of Pennsylvania analyzed over 30 years of data concerning the effect of water and could not confirm its supposed health benefits. They evaluated water's ability to flush our toxins, help organ functioning, help with weight loss, clear skin, and ward off headaches, and found little sound evidence supporting or negating any of these claims. Read more here.

Despite the cold hard science in my face, I still have a hard time accepting this, as I often think I can observe the benefits of water in my body. I guess its the old placebo effect in action again. Still, I am not going to cease drinking copious amounts of water, but I will lay off my dad.

2 comments:

Noah said...

he should also point out that as far as hydration is concerned black coffee is like 98% water.

the view from vicworld said...

Vindicated! Hooray!

I've also discovered that no matter how much I exercise, I still have a massive gut. Still, it's fun to take Boner the Wonder Dog into the woods for a walk.