Tuesday, April 15, 2008

tame overwhelm with guided meditation

When I have too much work and not enough time, I find myself going into a state of manic overdrive in order to get everything done. While I'm in it, it feel like this state of frenzy helps me get things accomplished, but in actuality it leads me to get distracted, burned out, make mistakes, or simply give up.

So this week I'm trying something new, and when I feel overwhelmed I am trying to take a moment to slow down. I'm on day two of this strategy, and I must admit its still a bit uncomfortable (how can I take 5 minutes to sit quietly and breathe with all these deadlines looming?), but I really think if I stick with it this strategy will save me time in the long run.

Since sitting still on my own volition seems impossible, I've been doing these guided meditations available from the Meditation Room. They range from 3-10 minutes in length, and there's even one specifically for taking a workplace break.

No comments: