Saturday, March 29, 2008

soothe hay fever with a sinus rinse

It is unfair that the magical blossoming of spring inevitably triggers such a horrific allergic response in those of us who deal with seasonal allergies. The lush of spring is right on the horizon...those shivery cold night are numbered. With bulbs blooming and trees budding, runny noses and itchy eyes are creeping in the corner.

If you are a sinus suffer, look into nasal saline irrigation, also known as neti. This type of sinus and nasal cleansing is a purification technique has been used in ayurvedic medicine and purification rituals for thousands of years, and more recently there have been studies that demonstrated its efficacy in reducing sinus discomfort.

I've been plagued by itchy throats and springtime sneezing as far back as I can remember, so I've tried most of the pharmaceuticals, a year or so of shots, and I've been eating local honey for five years. I was really impressed with how quickly and gently rinsing eased my sinus pressure, and after a few months of rinsing a few times a week I feel less irritated and congested.

The sensation is a bit startling at first, but once you get the swing of things it is really no weirder than flossing. To ease into it, try this great sinus rinse kit.

No comments: